Historic Homes in Milwaukee
For most people, a house is just a house. It’s a place to live and store some of your stuff, and while our own homes may have sentimental value, they usually don’t matter much to other people. Some houses, however, have a historical significance that elevates them above normal homes. Below we take a look at some of the oldest homes in Milwaukee and the individual stories behind each one.
Charles Abresch House
Oftentimes, when a home is deemed a historical landmark, its owners will transform it into a museum that is open to the public. That’s not the case with the Charles Abresch House which is privately owned and occupied. Built in 1890, the house once belonged to Charles Abresch, owner of the Charles Abresch Company which manufactured wagon and automobile parts. The home was designed by a local architect named Frederich Velguth, and the home’s historical significance arises from the fact that it remains a well-preserved example of houses from the time period. In the 100+ years since it was built, the home has undergone no major alterations or changes.
Edward J. Dahinden House
The Edward J Dahinden house was built in 1914 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Although the home was originally owned by Dahinden and used as his family’s primary residence, it has seen been upgraded into a law office. However, the exterior of the home and its American Craftsman style has remained intact even though the building is no lover a residence.
Thomas Cook House
Built in 1875, the Thomas Cook House belonged to the American pioneer Thomas Cook. Cook was best known as the operator of several limestone quarries in the Wisconsin area. The home is a Victorian Gothic designed by the architect E. Townsend Mix. The home is currently owned by Marquette University and serves as sorority housing.
Frederick C. Bogk House
The Bogk house is most notable for being the only single family residence in Milwaukee designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The house, built in 1915, cost $15,000 to construct and belonged to a city alderman. The style of the home was meant to appear sturdy and impregnable. The house was put up for sale and purchased by its current owners in 1955.
Charles Allis House
The Charles Allis House or Charles Allis Art Museum was built in 1909 for Milwaukee native businessman Charles Allis. The home was designed by the architect Alexander Eschweiler in the Tudor style. During his lifetime, Charles Allis and his wife amassed a unique collection of artwork which they planned to share to share with the public. Today, the museum is not only a historical landmark but also a bastion of the local art community in Milwaukee.