Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve got answers to your questions about getting you cash fast for your house.
Every time someone is selling a house, it’s a unique and personal transaction. We’ve helped more homeowners – more than any other buyer – get the solution that fits their specific needs. Our property specialists are standing by ready to help you with any questions you may have about your unique situation….no obligation, no cost…just give us a call. We’re happy to just talk about your situation and offer any guidance we can.
Who typically sells houses to We Buy Ugly Houses®?
People from all walks of life sell to us, but they all share one thing in common: They want to sell a house quickly, to a trusted home buyer who can make a cash offer and close on their schedule.
Here are just some of the reasons people sell to us:
- Need to sell an inherited property quickly.
- Want to unload a rental property with problem renters.
- Relocating or job transfer.
- Going through a divorce.
- Falling behind on mortgage payments and facing possible foreclosure.
- Not wanting to deal with a structural or repair issues.
- Simply moving, but not wanting to mess with repairs, painting, or cleaning.
- …and more
If you find yourself in one of these situations, contact us and let us show you how we can help.
What exactly is an 'ugly' house?
The phrase ‘We Buy Ugly Houses’ lets sellers know that we are willing to buy houses that are either in poor condition or, for one reason or another, might not be attractive to all buyers. This includes some of the following reasons:
- Houses with serious structural issues such as foundation, roof, plumbing, or electrical problems.
- Houses located in less than desirable or high-crime neighborhoods.
- Houses that are located in flood plain or in areas prone to the effects of weather.
- Houses with high-interest rates or undesirable mortgage financing.
- Houses with payments or balances that are too high for the owner to handle.
- Houses that have bad memories for the homeowner, such as a death, divorce, or tragedy.
- Houses that no longer serve the needs of the homeowner — too big, too small, inconvenient location, and so on.
What if my house isn't 'ugly?'
We’d still like to hear from you. Our buyers are interested in any houses that might be good investments, regardless of condition. Whether your house needs a lot of work or just a little, call us.
How does the house buying process work?
We follow a quick and simple process that makes things easy for sellers:
- CALL US TO SCHEDULE A VISIT. Give us a little information about your house. You can do this by calling us at 866-200-6475, or by using the contact form on this website.
- GET A CASH OFFER. A local franchisee in your area will contact you to arrange a visit. Our franchisee will answer any questions you have about We Buy Ugly Houses and evaluate the condition of your house. If buying makes sense from an investment standpoint, you’ll get a cash offer for your house.
- CLOSE ON YOUR SCHEDULE. You are under no obligation to accept the cash offer. But if you do, we’ll set up a closing time that works for you, so you can get your cash and move on as quickly as you wish.
Will you pay market value for my house?
Our franchisees are, first and foremost, real estate investors. Our franchisees invest time and money to renovate houses and make money once the house is back on the market. After answering your question and evaluating the condition of your house, our local franchisee will make a fair, no-obligation cash offer that is based on the expected market value of your house after a full renovation, discounting the renovation time and costs.
While we buy at a discount, selling to We Buy Ugly Houses provides a number of benefits to the seller. These include the following:
- There’s no need to deal with realtors or realtor commissions.
- We cover normal closing costs. We pay cash — so there are never delays from banks, and deals don’t fall through because of financing.
- We buy “as is,” so you don’t have to worry about repairs or cleanup.
- We close on your schedule when you’re ready.
- If you’re in a rush, we can close in as little as three weeks, so you can move on.
How do you determine the cash offer you'll make for my home?
After buying 100,000 homes, we have estimating down to a science. Before making you an offer, the franchisee in your market will evaluate a number of factors, including the following:
- The current condition of your house.
- The approximate cost of repairs and renovations required.
- The amount of time it will take to renovate your house.
- The future “post-renovation” value of your house, compared to other homes in the area.
- The amount of real estate commissions required to sell your home after renovation.
- The cost of maintaining the house until it’s ready to sell, including insurance, utilities, taxes, loan payments, and more.
The estimated future “post-renovation” value of your renovated house, minus these costs, helps us arrive at the cash offer that we make.
Do you buy condos and other types of homes?
Yes. We buy condos, townhouses, duplexes, multi-tenant buildings, and even some commercial properties as well.
Do you charge a fee for visiting my house and making an offer?
Absolutely not. We do this entirely at no charge. Contact us today for a free offer.
Am I under any obligation at all if I request a cash offer or arrange a visit?
No. Visiting your home and making a cash offer entails absolutely no obligation on your part. We’re more than happy to visit your house, answer your questions, and make an offer. There’s no obligation. You’re free to either accept or decline the offer.
Who is 'We Buy Ugly Houses®?'
We Buy Ugly Houses is part of HomeVestors Of America, Inc., a franchise corporation based in Dallas, Texas. Our franchisees are a network of real estate investors who realized that they could benefit from uniting together under a common brand. Working together allows them to promote their business and reach new sellers more efficiently.
Founded in 1996, we’ve bought over 100,000 houses to date. We have been on Entrepreneur Magazine’s “Franchise 500” list for five years. With over 800 independently owned and operated franchisees in 45 states, we’re the largest and most successful US franchisor in the business of buying houses for cash. HomeVestors is the most trusted name in the business, operating by the highest systems and standards in the industry. We’re proud to be America’s #1 Home Buyer.
Are other companies that claim to buy 'ugly houses' associated with you?
No. Over the years, we’ve been so successful that many small companies and investors try to mimic us. Sometimes, they go too far and actually copy some of the things that we’ve trademarked. We frequently find ourselves fighting for our legal right to protect the integrity of our business, but it still goes on.
If you ever find yourself dealing with a buyer and you’re not sure if they are actually a trusted We Buy Ugly Houses franchisee, simply call us at 866-200-6475 for verification. We’d be happy to help.
Is HomeVestors a reputable company?
We’ve been in business more than 20 years, and over 100,000 homeowners have trusted us to work with their unique situations and buy their homes quickly and as promised.
How can I sell my house quickly?
Just call us or use our online form. Your local We Buy Ugly Houses® representative will set up an appointment to meet you and see your house. Often, you’ll receive a cash offer on the spot, and we can close in as few as three weeks.
How do I sell my house fast in a slow market?
In all market conditions, We Buy Ugly Houses is constantly looking for houses to buy. We’re the buyers you can trust to make you a fair offer and close fast.
What should I fix before I sell my house?
Nothing, if you’re selling to We Buy Ugly Houses. We can buy your house just the way it is, so you won’t have to repair anything or even sweep the floor.
What is the fastest way to sell a house for cash?
Once you accept our firm cash offer, we can close in as few as three weeks. How’s that for fast?!
How long does it take to get money after selling a house?
Unlike other methods and buyers, We Buy Ugly Houses® simple process can get cash in your hands as fast as three weeks from when you accept our firm cash offer.
Can you sell your house if you’re behind in payments?
Since We Buy Ugly Houses can close in as few as three weeks, we could have your cash in hand even before you miss another payment and help you avoid foreclosure altogether.
Can you sell a house in pre-foreclosure?
Each situation is unique, and We Buy Ugly Houses works with each homeowner individually to help provide solutions. Since we’ve purchased more than 100,000 houses, we have experience with just about anything you might encounter. Let’s talk about what you’re up against and make a plan to help you avoid foreclosure.
Can I sell an inherited house?
If you’ve inherited a house, you’re entitled to do whatever you like with it, including selling it. We can help with your inherited house and have more information for you here.
Can you answer more of my questions?
Of course! We’re always happy to answer any questions you might have about We Buy Ugly Houses. Just send us your question online or call us at 866-200-6475 to speak with us personally.
I lived in the house for 32 years, and spent the last three years trying to fix it up and sell. Finally, I had to sell it quickly and was tired of putting money into rehabbing the house, plus traveling more than 65 miles to work each day. A friend of mine encouraged me to call even though I really didn’t have an ugly house. They saw the care and the work that I put into the house, and they made me a great offer. HomeVestors was my answer!-Brenda T.
Still have questions?
Your local We Buy Ugly Houses® property specialist will be happy to answer all of them.
Just fill out our webform above or call 866-200-6475